Mill de Phenix
A historic and iconic windmill located on the beautiful island Ameland. This mill is not only an important part of the local history but also an active part of the community, with a story dating back to the 17th century.
What can you expect at Phenix Mill on Ameland?
- Functioning Mill: This windmill is still in operation and plays an active role in the local community. Visitors can see how the mill works and learn more about the history of mills in the Netherlands.
- Mill Shop: In the mill shop, you will find various local products, including locally ground flour. Ideal for baking enthusiasts and for taking home a unique souvenir.
- Beautiful Surroundings: Located on the picturesque Ameland, the mill's surroundings offer plenty of opportunities for nature lovers, including hiking, cycling, and birdwatching.
- Rich History: Mills have stood at the location of Phenix Mill since 1629. This location has a turbulent history, including the toppled mill on New Year's Eve 1833 and mill De Hoop, which burned down in 1880 after a lightning strike.
- Historical Monument: Phenix Mill, built as a successor to mill De Hoop, symbolizes resilience and reconstruction. This beautiful mill, risen from the ashes, is a living monument of Dutch mill history.
History, traditional mill, and natural beauty
Experience traditional Dutch mill craftsmanship and enjoy the beautiful nature of Ameland when visiting Phenix Mill. This mill not only tells a story of historical resilience and reconstruction but is also a wonderful symbol of the rich mill culture in the Netherlands.
Experience a unique piece of Dutch history and culture at Phenix Mill on Ameland!
Furthermore Mill de Phenix is near the following sights: Ameland Nature Center (±300 m), Marina 't Leyegat Ameland (±1,1 km), Agriculture and Beachcombing Museum Swartwoude (±1,5 km), Seal Boat De Zeehond (±1,6 km) & Swimming Pool De Golfslag (±2,1 km).
For informationMolenweg, Nes
tel. +31 519 542 737